Choker necklaces, which sit close to the neck rather than draping to hang below the collar bone, have been in style at various points in history dating back to the 1500s when Anne Boleyn wore a pearl choker with a letter B charm in almost all her painted portraits. In the 1700s, French revolution expatriates wore red ribbons tied around their necks. In more recent history, chokers were fashionable in the 1920s, especially crafted from pearls or simple ribbon. In the 1940s, thick “dog collar” chokers were very popular, and again, in the 1990s chokers made a comeback. Since 2015, celebs and trendsetters have been sporting a variety of choker necklace styles, and you’ll find them in the jewelry stores of all the major jewelers. This year’s Oscar ceremony was dripping with diamond choker necklaces, including:
- Gal Gadot and Charlize Theron in Tiffany & Co.
- Idina Menzel and Julia Louis-Dreyfus in Harry Winston
- Janelle Monae in Forevermark
- Mindy Kaling in Chopard
- Florence Pugh in Louis Vuitton
If you want to mimic the style of these oversized chokers at a more affordable price point for daily wear, HotMixCold has you covered. Checkout some of our choker styles here:
- Layered necklaces – capture the heavy look popular at the Oscars without a pound of diamonds around your neck.
- Bar necklaces – understated and trendy bar necklaces look great on their own, and we can also offer hand etched notes and other customizations to make your necklace uniquely yours.
- Unique designs and charm necklaces – add some weight and interest to our delicate chains with fun gems or charms. You can also check out unique designs like our best selling antler necklace.
In addition to chunky, diamond choker necklaces, our favorite celebrities were also wearing a number of other jewelry styles that caught our eye at the Oscars, including big statement earrings.
The HotMixCold only jewelry store offers a variety of earring looks you can wear to capture your favorite celebrity styles, including:
- Chandelier Earrings – Mimic Saoirse Ronan’s Gucci earrings.
- Dangle Earrings – Mimic Scarlet Johnnsson’s Forevermark and Laura Dern’s Niwaka earrings.
- Pearl Drops – Mimic Salma Hayek’s Boucheron earrings.
You don’t necessarily want large, heavy bracelets for daily wear, but as we demonstrate on our personalized bar bracelet page, you can create a layered look that mimics the Oscars jewelry styles of Regina King in Harry Winston, Salma Hayek in Boucheron, and Geena Davis in Chopard – without the weight.
Want to Make Something Special?
HotMixCold became one of the top online jewelry stores on Etsy because our knowledgeable professionals go the extra mile to create flawless jewelry looks that you’ll want to wear again and again. In addition to the styles you find on our website and our Etsy jewelry store, we also love to work with people to create custom jewelry styles. Don’t hesitate to contact us to learn more or get started on a custom jewelry design.